|Lowville, first settled in 1796, is part of the Black River valley, an area laden with fertile land and rich forests. The town continued to develop through the years, supporting hotels, flour mills and gristmills, furniture manufacturers, cheese plants, tanneries, and even a brewery. Lowville's place in history was sealed when, by 1878, it was producing eight million pounds of cheese annually with a value at that time of $1 million. The earlier manufacturing businesses gradually faded, and Lowville ushered in the 20th century as an important dairy center, a tradition that continues to this day.
Dorothy K. Duflo is a retired postal worker and member of the Lewis County Historical Society. She also serves on the Lowville Village Municipal Board. A retired history teacher at Lowville Academy and Central School, Charlotte M. Beagle currently serves as Town of Lowville historian and executive director of Constable Hall. The photographs, postcards, and local memorabilia in Lowville have been collected by the author over many years.